Thursday, February 07, 2008

Open All Night

PhD exam #1 down. Four to go. Good God, I'm old. And a mom. And old. Did I mention old? I can't imagine how people do five in a row, like most do. One multi-part question, 24-hours to write a 15 to 20 page paper based on a million readings you choose. Email it in, get the next question, do it all over again. For five days. I can barely type at the moment. I couldn't do it all over again today and then again for three days after this. No freaking way. Once a week will do, thank you very much. I am stoked to get them done. Man, oh man, they have been hanging over my head for way too long.

I have to teach in a few hours. Ironically, for someone who can't form a sentence, today's lecture is on communication and language in anthropology. Ha. Those poor students.

I got a request from the interviewer for past salary information. Does that mean what I hope it might? Or do they just want a good laugh?

I had about 5 things I wanted to blog about and now they are gone from my head. Maybe if I shut my eyes, they'll come back to me. Or I'll sleep through my class.

2 Comments:

Blogger Elrena said...

Hi Kris,

I stumbled across your blog today -- congratulations on finishing your first exam! That's awesome.

I just had to leave you a comment, because I'm the editor of a book about combining motherhood and academia! It's called Mama, PhD: Women Write about Motherhood and Academic Life, and it's coming out in July from Rutgers University Press. Would you like to be on our mailing list?

Let me know, and congratulations again!

~Elrena

8:25 AM  
Blogger Damselfly said...

Good for you for getting through that! I of course wouldn't know what that's like.

7:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home