Thursday, January 18, 2007

Back in the Saddle

Well, Millie and I both managed to survive my first day back to school. There were some tears when I left (all me) and quite a few after I left (both of us). She was a challenge for the babysitter and then a bigger challenge for my husband. Iain said she was hysterical-the hyperventilating, sobbing, gagging kind of hysterical-for a solid hour for him. I called when I got out of teaching my last class a few minutes before 8:00 and she had just gone to sleep. She normally goes down by 7:00 at the latest. I walked through the door to what seemed like a war zone. And, if you know my husband, this is not a good sign. I am the total slob in the pair-he likes everything orderly. How he hasn't divorced my sorry butt over clutter, I don't know. But that's another blog. There were toys all over the place, an empty (finally) bottle on the table, clothes strung around. And he was sitting in a semi-coma on the couch. He couldn't even get her pajamas on-in 18 degree weather she was asleep in a short-sleeved onesie and pants. I don't know who I felt worse for-her or him. I really expected to come home to a clean house, cleaned kitchen, organized play area and a well-fed and well-slept kid because that's how good he is. I guess she gave him a run for his money. I couldn't wait to get home-to hug my husband and baby, to get something to eat and to pump, pump, pump if Millie wasn't awake to eat. The anthropology department at UConn doesn't have a designated cubby hole to pump in. I went to a bunch of handicapped bathrooms, all without a plug. I am not much of one to make a stink, but that is unacceptable. I plan on doing something about that-I had to pump in our dirty arch lab hoping that no one would decide to come in unannounced. That doesn't make for an easy let down.

Anywho, we all lived. And have to do it all again next week and for the next 13 weeks. Millie has her 4 month well visit today. We'll see how my little chunka chunka fairs on the height-weight charts. She's blissfully asleep at the moment. But, I'm sure it won't last long so I should get some schoolwork done.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home