Thursday, May 17, 2007

Silent Night

I feel so odd. The house is quiet. Millie is blissfully asleep. My husband is asleep in our bedroom and it's only 7:48. He's been asleep since a few minutes past 6:00. This is not typical, but last night, Millie woke up 30 seconds after Lost started (which is 10:01 for those not keeping track of Wednesday nights in terms of Lost time), then again at 11:30, then again at 12:15 (at which point he brought her into our room), then for good at 3:00 A.M. Did I mention the AM part? She stayed up until she crashed until 7:15.

Anywho, in the last hour, I finished cleaning up the kitchen, folded all the laundry, packaged up some Christmas gifts (yes, Christmas gifts. I know it's mid-May.) to send to Rhode Island because I have abandoned all hope of ever getting there again before 2010, answered some emails, looked up directions to a new dentist for my first teeth cleaning since before I was pregnant (yes, I'm gross AND a neglectful mother), and made a cup of tea which I actually got to drink all at once rather than reheating it in the microwave for the next 6 hours before I found the bottom of it. Incredible what I can accomplish given an hour of peace. Now, there are a million things I should do rather than write, but here I sit for a moment. I SO want to watch the season finale of Ugly Betty, but my husband's asleep and we watch it together. That doesn't make me any less tempted, though. Bad wife. We usually catch it online since it's on against Earl, which we also love, love, love. I'll wait for him, I guess. He'd wait for me.

I realized I never did write about my first Mother's Day. We baptized Millie in a church I started attending while we lived in Hartford. I love minister and the congregation. The service is a little too Catholic for my taste (not that there is anything wrong with Catholic services, but I'm used to a little lower Episcopalian services with all of the ritual and none of the guilt). I usually attend the 8:00 service, but we did it at the 10:30 service, complete with incense galore and chimes and chanting. So, some of my family and all of Iain's family (all four of them) were there. We did a little lunch reception afterwards in the parish hall. It was a repeat of my wedding all over again. I HEAR the food was good-I wouldn't know. I didn't get any. I guess I was doing what mothers do-making sure everyone else was set and settled and happy. Have we met? I'm a total martyr. The ceremony was nice, I'm glad it's done, and my first Mother's Day with a born baby was spent with people I love. I could be snarky and bitchy about the day, but you get that enough from me. I'll just count my blessings for once. I'll save the sarcasm for another day. Most of it, at least.

Labels: , ,


Blogger Adventures In Babywearing said...

Oh, that was sweet. Sounds like a nice silent night!


Be sure to enter my really awesome giveaway going on from Mason & Matisse- you could win $120 in Skip Hop gear!

8:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home